ARTISTFACTS FOR AVRIL LAVIGNE



She grew up in the small town of Napanee, Ontario, Canada. Her name is pronounced AH-vreel la-VEEN. It's French.
Avril has been performing live for years. She began with county fairs singing country songs and gospel at church. She learned guitar from listening to "Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz. She was signed to a record label (Arista) at age 16, and claims she never experiences stage fright.
She consistently refuses to conform to other people's ideas of how to be popular. She won't sing songs by other songwriters or have her teeth bleached. Onstage, she will only wear her own outfits, which usually include tank tops and neckties.
With the help of producer Clif Magness, she wrote many of the songs on her debut album . Before that, she was living in New York, experiencing writer's block. Lavigne says that she and Magness clicked instantly.
What is "avril"? It is the month of April in French. It also stands for "A Virtual Reality Interface Library," a program meant to help computer programmers with creating virtual worlds. Other 'Avrils' include Avril Mawhinney, a portrait photographer; Avril Rowlands, who runs courses for those interested in film and television; Avril Fahey, one of the best female cricketers in the world; and Christopher Avril, a French jazz musician.
Favorite Lavigne sports include, skateboarding, hockey, and baseball. She once got in a fight with the goalie playing hockey.
Avril used to write as soon as she got home because she was always grounded. She calls herself an "old soul" and is a big believer in sticking to your principles and standing up for yourself.
Lavigne: "I don't like people putting their lyrics into my songs. I want them to be my lyrics." (thanks, Jen - Philadelphia, PA, for above 2)
Avril has a way of setting fashion trends. When she wore ties with her outfits, so did many of her fans. On her first Saturday Night Live appearance, she wore a T-shirt for Home Hardware in her hometown of Napanee, and the store sold thousands of them.
Avril and Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley tied the knot on July 15, 2006 in Montecito, California - they had been engaged since summer 2005. The marriage lasted a little more than three years, ending on October 9, 2009 when Lavigne filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences. Despite their personal difficulties, the pair remained friends and Whibley produced eight of the tracks on Lavigne's 2011 album, Goodbye Lullaby. (thanks, Matthew - Fleetwood, England)
She spent a year in France after her divorce from Deryck Whibley to honor a vow she'd made to learn French. "I have my French passport and my dad is from France, but I'm also a French Canadian, so I really wanted to learn French," Avril explained.

"I was single for the first time and I sold my house in LA, and I'd just finished my world tour and I was like, 'I think I'm going to go to France,'" she continued. "I went all by myself, I didn't know anyone and I got an apartment and I did school with Berlitz, five days a week, six hours a day."
Avril married Nickelback frontman Chad Kroeger on July 1, 2013 (Canada day). They tied the knot in front of approximately 50 guests at Chateau La Napoule in Mandelieu, France, which is located near Cannes.

On September 2, 2015, Lavigne announced her separation from Kroeger via her official Instagram account.
Avril Lavigne was struck down in the second half of 2014 with Lyme disease, a bacterial infection spread by infected ticks. "I had no idea a bug bite could do this. I was bedridden for five months," she revealed to People. "I felt like I couldn't breathe, I couldn't talk and I couldn't move. I thought I was dying. There were definitely times I couldn't shower for a full week because I could barely stand. It felt like having all your life sucked out of you."

0 comments:

Post a Comment